Author Topic: Wondering when 5.0 Lollipop (or above) will arrive  (Read 3130 times)

wjw

• View Profile
Wondering when 5.0 Lollipop (or above) will arrive
« on: July 10, 2016, 02:00:02 PM »
Found this on the Official Kodi website and am wondering how it affects the AMLogic-based Q3's

"Android 5.0 Lollipop (or later) as minimum

Over the years the Android platform started to mature and catch up to the other platforms regarding capabilities. This also means that we can drop all the custom code we had to add in the beginning to get Kodi running at all as thatís now becoming obsolete. One of those from back in the days was libStageFright  which we dropped in a previous release and was replaced by the standard MediaCodec from Android. With v17 we have started to clean up all the old implementations which sadly also means we had to set the minimum Android version to at least 5.0 Lollipop. Itís uncertain at this time if we even hove to go higher and set minimum to Android 6.0 Marshmallow as this contains certain features we need to improve Kodi. For now you are safe if you at least have Android 5.0 Donít worry you can keep using Kodi v16 on all previous Android versions however you just can upgrade to a newer Kodi version.

Welcome to Android MediaCodec standards and goodbye AMLogic specific code

One other custom implementation is AMLogic code which is were it all started with Kodi on Android and we used this to acces certain hardware parts which Android couldnít yet. As already mentioned Android improved a lot over the years and it now also means the custom AMLogic code can now be turned of and removed. Sadly AMLogic doesnít follow the standard Android and releases firmware which is just a tiny bit different. This could mean that some devices might loose some capabilities as the firmware does things a bit different than we expect. This is all on the manufacturers side of these chipsets and they have to fix it. Sadly we canít keep supporting this deviation from the standard API as we are low enough on developers already. We sure hope AMLogic will see this and start to follow the Android standard that has been set since Android 5.0 With dropping all these custom code we hope we can keep moving forward with Kodi on Android and make it much easier to maintain for the future. For Android 7 Nougat we even had a lot of help from a great guy at Google who implemented some features for us and we are looking forward on using that. This absolutely does not mean that Kodi will not work on AMLogic chipset devices anymore."

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Wondering when 5.0 Lollipop (or above) will arrive
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 10:17:07 AM »
Himedia Q3 doesn't use Amlogic chipsets.
Himedia Q2 is using HiSilicon Chipset: ARM Cortex A7 1.5G Quad-core CPU+Mali-450 GPU Unlike almost all other Android boxes.

wjw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 12:23:23 PM »
Ok then, next (and original) question...

When will Lollipop 5.0 (or above) come to the Q3 quad core, like it has with other 1 gig/8 gig boxes out there? Or do I have to shelf my Q3 (after 6 months) and by an H8?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 07:55:59 AM by wjw »

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 10:29:40 AM »
The Android version is developed for specific chipset (majorly CPU) only. The Q3IV is suing ARM Cortex A9 Quad-core CPU. Android Lollipop 5.0 doesn't support it yet.

wjw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 03:05:33 PM »
Q3 quadcore

HMD-3.0.4 2016-08-18.181144

541M

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8ta6vp8bte32i1q/update.zip

OK then, what's this update for? I don't see anything in the forums as to what it is...

ash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 10:16:21 AM »
So apparently KODI doesnt support current version of android. Any solution to this ?

della

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 10:16:53 AM »
would be absolutely fantastic if we can have this question answered.

Furious as we bought our Q3 a few months ago with one purpose, to use kodi, and now it's basically just an overpriced paper weight
 >:( >:( >:( >:(

coegraham

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 07:40:14 PM »
I would also like to know when the upgrade to android 5.0 will be possible.

Carnage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 12:49:29 AM »
Same here! I emailed Himedia with this very question - Android 5.0 (Lollipop) has been out for YEARS.

With all due respect, I just purchased my Q1 a few months ago as well - due to 1GB and 8GB RAM and 4K support; ALONG with the assumption that software would or could remain current.

Besides the point that Kodi Krypton REQUIRES Android 5.1 now to support HTTPS, I'm really surprised the last firmware update (08/2016) was still to run Kitkat???

Himedia - if you are in the business of MAKING MONEY, you cannot leave customers with current HARDWARE (which you sell) running OUTDATED software. I'll drop this piece of shit, never look back and recommend to friends they do the same.

Let us know what you intend to do here. Thanks.

Lonsmos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 03:48:57 PM »
I've sent numerous emails to their customer service for different problems and they never respond
Very poor customer service I've purchased at least 10 Himedia devices over the last 12 months for friends and family but unless Himedia steps up to help those of us who have a device that can't be updated to a newer android version then they can count me out to give them another dime
Hopefully more people do the same until they get the message

djlittlehorse

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 08:03:23 PM »
I see that the root firmware for the Q3 is the H8 firmware. Does anyone think that since the H8 can run Lollipop that the H8 firmware update would work on the Q3?