Author Topic: How to install New Kodi version (15.2/16...) to cover the built-in Kodi 15.2 RC1  (Read 5348 times)

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Here is how to replace the built-in Kodi 15.2 RC1.

Go setting-more setting, click apps, double click the Kodi and select uninstall.
Install the kodi.apk or from Play Store. Thew new version will replace the old version.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:17:25 PM by David »

Pixel8

• View Profile
Re: How to reinstall Kodi 15.2 version to cover the built-in Kodi 15.2 RC1
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 07:03:12 PM »
I have tried this method at your kind suggestion, and it does update Kodi, but unfortunately you then lose the HiMedia Hardware Acceleration that came with V1.0.9. There are only the built in Kodi codec acceleration. To get the HiMedia hardware acceleration back in Kodi, you then have to do a full pin in the button reset to reinstall V1.0.9, but you lose all your settings and any other apps you may have installed. I assume that the HiMedia hardware acceleration takes advantage of the H8 chipset and makes it perform better for high definition video (like 4K). Do you have any input on that?

I hope that HiMedia will include the latest Kodi version when next they update the firmware.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I wish it were that easy, since Kodi is frequently updating its software versions and it has so many great features.

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 03:21:30 PM »
Hello PixeL8,

Thanks for your reply on himedia.ca. We tested the Kodi 15.2 Final on H8 box. The Rockchips Codec options disappeared. 15.2RC2 version was fine.

It has nothing to do with the firmware version, we tested on v1.07/1.0.8/1.0.9, all the same. So I am thinking it is something between Kodi and the chipset maker Rockchip. I believe Himedia doesn't have "HiMedia Hardware Acceleration", they just built the Kodi 15.2RC2 into the firmware without any modification on kodi.

I will double check with the factory and post he update.

Pixel8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 05:09:04 PM »
Hi again David,

Thanks for your interest and reply. Just a bit of further information. When I installed the 15.2 final and noticed the Rockchip hardware acceleration missing (there was only Kodi software listed), I also tried the Kodi V16 Beta and it did list Hardware acceleration but not specifically Rockchip. I wonder if the Kodi coders have now added hardware acceleration for the Rockchip chipset. Perhaps you are correct and HiMedia never added drivers or "hardware acceleration" to any of the firmware versions. It just seems strange that the mention of Rockchip Hardware acceleration that was in 15.2 RC1 (that came with V1.0.7 - 1.0.9) was not in V15.2 Final or V16 Beta.

I would sure appreciate hearing back from you when you find out if HiMedia adds anything extra to Kodi. I am currently back to the V15.2 RC1 that came with V1.0.9 but it has some problems of its own with not storing and keeping your resume factor on movies and videos. I would like to be able to update to the latest Kodi and not be concerned that I am losing out on HiMedia specific hardware acceleration.

On the same topic, do you know if there is hardware optimization for the HiMedia Media Player that comes with V1.0.9 or is it just another media player?

By the way, I also had lip sync problems with the version of Netflix that came with V1.0.7-1.0.9 and at your suggestion updated to the latest Netflix, which solved the problem and also provided for a much clearer picture. So, many thanks.

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 05:22:08 PM »
Thanks for the post.

I have confirmed with the factory that they did't do anything on kodi in the firmware. I will double check if they did anything on the built-in media player. Hopefully I can hear back from them by tomorrow.

Good news is they have planned to update the Kodi 15.2 Final and latest Netflix version. Hopefully it can be done after the Chinese New Year.

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Himedia Built-in Media Player Hardware optimization
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 10:09:07 AM »
Himedia keep update the optimization of their built-in media player. They will make the imprroment in every The firmware upgrading.

token

• View Profile
FYI for anyone who is interested. HW acceleration (all 4) options disappeared after upgrading to kodi 17.1 and replaced with 2 new operations; however, they need to be disabled in order for kodi to play any videos other than WMV.

JamesH8

• View Profile
tge answer is FTMC freaktab media center.

made my H8 plus very happy. running rel 26 rockchip